Press Release: VIA's 8+2G Ethernet Switch Controller Chipset
Posted By Van Smith
Date: July 19, 2001
For Immediate Release
VIA Introduces World's First Intelligent 8+2G Ethernet Switch Controller Chipset Provides Highly Integrated Single Chipset Solution for High Speed SOHO Switching Applications
Taipei, Taiwan, 19th July 2001 - VIA Technologies, Inc today announced the world's first intelligent 8+2G Ethernet Switch Controller chipset incorporating 8 X 10/100 Fast Ethernet and 2 X Gigabit Ethernet ports. The VIA VT6510 is aimed at serving the rapidly growing market for high-speed intelligent SOHO switching solutions, as small businesses and home users migrate to Gigabit connectivity to handle the increased network traffic associated with today's data intensive Internet environment.
The VT6510 builds on the success of VIA's widely adopted 16 port Fast Ethernet switch, the VT6516. It incorporates 8 X 10/100 Mbps ports as well as 2 X Gigabit ports in a highly integrated cost effective single chip package. Advanced features include an intelligent web-based management tool that allows a network administrator to monitor or configure the system remotely and 3Mbits of embedded SRAM to boost system performance.
"The launch of the VIA VT6510 8+2G Ethernet switch chipset provides a further demonstration of our ability to leverage our world class IC design capabilities to deliver leading edge products for the networking applications market," commented Wen-Chi Chen, President and CEO of VIA Technologies, "VIA will continue to develop innovative new products for this market, including 24+2G and 16+2G Ethernet switch chipsets".
VIA VT6510 Availability & Features
The VIA VT6510 is already in mass production at TSMC using an advanced 0.22 micron process. Its major features include:
* Single-chip low-power non-blocking store-and-forward shared-memory layer-2 switched Ethernet controller with eight 10/100BaseX ports and two 10/100/1000BaseX ports, embedded 2Mbit packet memory and 1Mbit control memory.
* Two 802.3z and 802.3ab compliant Gigabit Ethernet ports integrated with GMII MAC and Coding Sub-layer (PCS) logic for direct connection to Gigabit PHY and SERDES transceivers.
* VT6510 can also be configured as an (8×GPSI+2×MII) HomePNA1.0 switch.
* Supports 16-bit CPU interface for 8/16-bit IDE, ARM with DMA, 80186 with DMA for management and SOHO router applications.
* With an internal oscillator and PLL to reduce system cost.
* Complete support for MIB and RMON network management applications
* Supports ingress port security mode, prevent illegal access with undefined MAC addresses.
* Supports 802.3x flow control for full-duplex ports. Supports collision-based and carrier-based backpressure for half-duplex ports.
* Supports 10/8/6K MAC address table with both direct and CRC-map hashing algorithms.
* Supports 802.1q/v/s VLAN with configurable 1/2/4K VLAN table.
* Supports IP Multicasting by 1K IP multicast table.
* Supports 802.1p Class of Service with 2-level priority queuing and weighted round robin scheduling.
* Supports 802.3ad Trunking.
* Provides serial LED display for port status, buffer/bandwidth utilization, and power-on embedded memory self-test indication.
* TSMC 0.22?m CMOS process, 208-pin PQFP package.
* VIA also provides embedded intelligent Layer-2 management software with features of GVRP, LACP, IGMP Snooping, STP, RMON, Web Management.
About VIA Technologies, Inc.
VIA Technologies, Inc. is a leading fabless supplier of PC core logic chipsets, microprocessors, and multimedia and communications chips. VIA delivers value to the PC industry by designing, marketing, and selling high-performance VIA Apollo core logic chipsets for the full range of PC platforms, as well as cost-effective VIA C3(tm) processors for Value PCs and Internet Appliances. Its customers include the world's top OEMs, mainboard manufacturers, and system integrators. VIA is headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, at the center of the Greater China high-tech manufacturing engine, and has branch offices in the US, China and Europe. The company is listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE2388), and achieved annual revenues of nearly US$1 billion in 2000.